Saturday, May 11, 2013

We See What You Did There, TMZ



"Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons."
-Michael Jackson


Is it any wonder why TMZ is still struggling to catch up?

In  a previous post entitled: We've Had Enough, TMZ, I pointed out various things that TMZ has failed to realize or even acknowledge in their reporting of Wade Robson's sexual abuse claims.

Among those points was the following:

"For instance, they have yet to note that Wade's repressed memory claim could(if allowed) conveniently get Wade passed the red tape of  the statute of limitations for filing a creditor's claim. Without his repressed memory claim, he truly has no other means to get passed the statute of limitations."

Well, thanks to yet another fellow MJ fan, the following article has been discovered that reiterates the exact point made above.





From the article:

Last Wednesday, the Minnesota Supreme Court flatly rejected the psychological theory of "repressed memory" as bogus. The Court declared that scientific studies that have tried to prove the bogus theory have "lacked foundational reliability." 

Church-suing lawyers and accusers of abuse have attempted to use "repressed memory" as a way to circumvent statutes of limitations in order to file big-money lawsuits against the Catholic Church.

Not only did I point this out in my blog, but I also called TMZ's "TMZ Live" line and spoke to TMZ and pointed it out over the phone as well. When I said this, the gentleman(using this term VERY LOOSELY) seemed astonished and gave the impression that this point hadn't been noted yet and it really hasn't been in any of their articles. That was over 3 days ago and before I wrote the blog. However, I was told that it was already too late for them to include my call in their first segment of TMZ Live, but that they'd call me back for "Viewer's Choice" to have me restate my point again for viewers to hear.

Is it any big surprise I was never called back? After you read what I'm about to post from the above mentioned article...probably not!

The author of the article goes on to claim just how unreliable and 'bogus' the theory of repressed memory is and cites sources who are said to be the world's leading experts in memory.
The theory of "repressed memory" is bizarre, indeed. The world's leading experts in memory have roundly debunked the wild theory. 

Dr. Richard J. McNally, Professor and Director of Clinical Training, Department of Psychology, Harvard University: "The notion that traumatic events can be repressed and later recovered is the most pernicious bit of folklore ever to infect psychology and psychiatry. It has provided the theoretical basis for 'recovered memory therapy' – the worst catastrophe to befall the mental health field since the lobotomy era." 

Dr. James McGaugh, University of California, Irvine: "I go on science, not fads. And there's absolutely no proof that it can happen. Zero. None. Niente. Nada. All my research says that strong emotional experiences leave emotionally strong memories. Being sexually molested would certainly qualify." 

Dr. Elizabeth Loftus, Professor of Psychology, University of California, Irvine: "You can't be raped for 10 years and not remember it. Yet, according to the repression aficionados, anything's possible."



Dr. Paul McHugh, Chairman of the Psychiatry Department, Johns Hopkins University: "If penis envy made us look dumb, this will make us look totally gullible."

I could go into further detail with sources and studies that all support the comments made by these experts to illustrate the sentiments these experts expressed are shared by MANY in the field of psychology, psychiatry, and science. However, unlike TMZ, I want to present arguments both for and against repressed memories and their legitimacy, but that is another post for another day(soon actually).

Instead, I want to share what fascinated me the most in this article.
Yet one would hardly know from the media coverage over the past several years that "repressed memory" has been completely debunked and discredited. Journalists are reluctant to inform readers of any facts which would detract from the sensationalism of charges of sex abuse in the Catholic Church. When reporting on "repressed memory" cases against Catholic priests, journalists almost universally neglect to convey that the theory is scientific nonsense. 

Sound like anybody you know, TMZ?



If it wasn't before, then it should be even more obvious now. If TMZ reported any facts about how much repressed memories are debunked and found to be bogus they wouldn't be able to carry on with their sensationalized follow up stories on this entire Wade Robson fiasco. 

Harvey Levin specifically stated on camera that he believes in repressed memories. His prerogative but if he's going to give his opinion the least he could do is present FACTS to support how he arrived at his conclusion or do as I intend to do and provide arguments for BOTH sides of the debate. Its just too convenient for Harvey to believe in repressed memories, that's what it boils down to. It gives him an excuse to entertain what most people have found completely and utterly ridiculous and absurd.

Even TMZ's own readers/viewers seem to realize more than Harvey how bogus repressed memory claims can be.



So you lose, TMZ, but we ain't even mad at ya because we already know...






2 comments:

  1. TMZ has always wrote garbage for ratings! I take what they say with a grain of salt. Half truth and flat out lies is there specialty! They are nothing but bullies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lorraine...TMZ is bullies with a camera and mic, UGH. Thank you for sharing this info and I totally agree. BOGUS!!! BOGUS!!! BOGUS!!!

    ReplyDelete